"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It Takes a Village

The title of this post is part of an African proverb that says "It takes a village to raise a child". I think this is so true! I am very thankful for E's and my parents especially for their roles in caring and nurturing Han. Evan though I am a stay home mum, their roles are in no way diminished because of that.  Many times, when E and I need their help, they will selflessly give of their time and effort to avail themselves to care for Han. I guess it's our parents' way of loving us, by loving our kids! Isn't this such a wonderful cycle of love?

I also appreciate that our parents give us the space to make decisions for our kids (even though at times I know they will fully beg to differ!). So it must have taken an amount of self control not to twist our arms towards what they think it's best. So I appreciate the space of learning.

A side thought: I think being a mother teaches me to appreciate my parents more. When I stepped into the shoes of motherhood close to 2 years ago, I have begun the journey of also understanding my parents' love for me deeper. What wonders parenthood bring and what precious lessons I have been taught!

For those of us who have the privilege of having our parents around to be grandparents to our kids, let's always remember to appreciate and love them:)

No comments:

Post a Comment