"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Alphabet Boxes

I can't wait to use these for Han's learning time! Alphabet boxes are simple and not costly to make and you can use them in many many ways!


I got these nice orange containers from Daiso. They have lids that are easy to open for toddlers and the plastic feels quite durable. It's important to choose a reasonably sized container. I don't like them too big because of storage issues (all 26 of them to store!) but they can't be too small because of the items we need to place inside. It's up to your creativity and personal preference what kind of containers you would like to use. It can be lunchboxes of your toddler's favorite character too!

My alphabet labels are from Activity Village . I like the kiddy fonts and bright colours. Just print out, laminate and cut. This is the part which is the most labour intensive, but it's the most satisfying! At this point, I must thank E for being so supportive to lend his hands and support to help me with this part of the process:) Alternatively, you may purchase alphabet font stickers which are cute and convenient! Just remember it's good to label with both upper and lowercase alphabets.

Activities you could do with the alphabet boxes:

1) Alphabet Sorting (letter recognition)

Give 3D alphabets/ alphabet cards to sort into the respective boxes. I use one half of our Kohwai & Young alphabet matching puzzle for this as puzzle pieces are thicker and thus easier for Han to handle, as compared to alphabet pieces made with laminated paper.


2) Alphabet Matching with Items Starting with The Respective Alphabet

For these, you could make up a list of say 5-10 items that start with the respective alphabets. Google the pictures (I prefer to use real photographs to aid better recognition and learning), print and laminate to make small cards for your toddler to sort them into the correct alphabet box. For me, I would add in the other picture half of the puzzle as mentioned above.

3) Alphabet Box of the Week

I modified our curriculum such that we will cover 1 alphabet in 2 weeks instead as I realised 1 week to cover a Biblical theme and an alphabet is way too rushed. So on the 2nd week of learning, we will have the Alphabet Box of the Week where Han will be encouraged to find things around or outside of the house which starts with that alphabet and she may put that item in the box as a collection. Of course,  this would involve some "planting" of items on my part and some deliberate planning. For example, for Letter B, I may cook bean soup and allow her to put a Bean into the B box for that week, or I may allow her to collect a blade of Green Grass to put in the G box. There are endless possibilities! This is really more fun than just flashing cards or reading books I think:)

4) Alphabet Sequencing

We'll also play alphabet sequencing by lining the boxes in the right order or even lining up some boxes with missing alphabets and getting Han to place the right ones in.

5) Play Dough in Alphabet Boxes

We may put some play dough in each box and encourage Han to mould the alphabet.

Keep the ideas flowing! Most importantly we're going to have fun because that's what learning should be! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment