"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Saturday, May 14, 2011

God's Timely Reminder for Me - The Desired Outcomes of Preschool Education

I am very thankful to God for His timely reminder. A great reminder much needed.

I've always have a heart for education and when I became a SAHM to Han, it was natural that I invest my educator training to teaching her. One question that keeps hanging on my mind: What must she learn in her preschool years areas such as language, math, science etc. My educator mindset immediately launch me to a hunt of learning milestones that I assume Han needs to have and how best to help her reach these milestones. I do not believe in "hot-housing" my child by sending her to extra classes and I determine in myself that an underlying educational principle to uphold is to instill in Han a lifelong love for learning.

Tonight I stumbled upon this from the MOE website:

Desired Outcomes of Pre-school Education

At the end of pre-school education, children will:
  • Know what is right and what is wrong
  • Be willing to share and take turns with others
  • Be able to relate to others
  • Be curious and be able to explore
  • Be able to listen and speak with understanding
  • Be comfortable and happy with themselves
  • Have developed physical co-ordination and healthy habits
  • Love their family, friends, teachers and kindergarten
Nothing about whether preschool kids should have learned how to count from 1 to ?? or to be well-trained in phonics and reading, much as all these are important.

I found myself reading through the paragraph again and again. It was God's reminder to me to always remember more than just knowledge my child has to gain,there are definitely more things that matter much more. Beyond helping her learn what she needs to learn, I must remember to teach and train her moral character.

E and I would of course add in another desired outcome to our own list. That Han would know, love and serve God always.

Thank you Lord for speaking:)

No comments:

Post a Comment