"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thoughts from a Narnia Newbie

It's quite embarrassing because the new Narnia film, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, is the first Narnia film that I have watched even though it's the third one to be released. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of fantasy movies. I've never seen a Harry Potter film and it took me quite awhile to understand the details of The Lord of the Rings, which I eventually like though still not a great fan of. I would much prefer film of modern era which I find it easier to relate to.

Nonetheless, at the persuasion of E, we went to catch the latest Narnia film during our weekly date and I walked away wanting to catch it a second time and with a newly purchased The Chronicles of Narnia book set. Does that make me a fan?


I reflected on three statements, made during the film, that struck me deeply and which I thought are statements that God is using to speak to me. (Please note the accuracy of the statements is based on my memory and may not contain the exact words)


1) "You doubt your value, don't run away from who you are." (Aslan to Lucy)

This one went deep into my heart. God was using this to once again remind me of the work He can still do in me regarding issues of significance. 


2) "To defeat the darkness outside, you must first defeat the darkness within yourself." (Magician)

For the past few days, time with the Lord was focused on the area of allowing Him to check my heart and realigning myself to His will. So this one was a further affirmation of a reminder and lesson I am learning.

3) "No matter how hard I try, I can't do it by myself, and then he came close. It hurt but it was good pain." (Eustace)

I teared when I heard this. Isn't it true? All our human efforts are in vain before Him and His glory. We need the Holy Spirit and His empowerment in all we do and in our service to Him. Personally whenever I try too hard with my own strength, and when God intervened (thankfully!), it hurt. Pride has to be stripped and knowledge that puffs up has to be bowed in humility. And yes, I totally agree, it was good pain. This reminds me of God's Word in Hebrews 12: 4-13:


"4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,    “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
   and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
   and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]
 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
 12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 “Make level paths for your feet,”[b] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed"

 Have a blessed weekend!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment