"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Choice of Investment

Recently we sold our car which has served us well for the past 2.5 years. A trusty manual car that never broke down nor gave us major problems (except for the 2 times when the battery died! Once in the midst of a heavy downpour and another time at a cold carpark at Genting Highlands)!

Some people have repeatedly asked why we sold the car. Some asked why  I couldn't just go back to work or to take up more tuition assignments etc, both choices which will very well provide us enough (and even excess) money for a car.

All these made me revisit why E and I decided that I should be a SAHM. It's a good time to remind ourselves of our convictions. This is not a post to defend our decision to sell a car, which in our present society, it seems to be a need for sure. This I do beg to differ for my case. I still hold on to the stand that a car is a want, and not a need. Which means our family can survive and thrive well without a car. Now I understand more why the Lord bless us with a flat that is only 5 mins walk to the train station and only 10 mins by bus to town! Thank You God! He must have known such a day will come when we need to let go of the car.

I am also reminded that in life, we make decisions based on values and principles we believe in and we choose to live out these decisions joyfully!

Back to our convictions on why I should be a SAHM. It boils down to two points.

1. Time with our child is the best investment we can give to her.
2. We want to be very actively involved in nurturing her and witnessing her growth and development.

Before I share more about our two convictions, I would like to qualify that my personal views do not mean that non-SAHMs are in anyway less than a parent than SAHMs. It really boils down to what are your life choices and what you believe in.

E and I really want to invest the gift of time to Han. We take such great joy and delight in spending time with her and vice versa. We firmly believe that time spent with her will set a foundation of a strong relationship we hope to share with her as parents-child.

I have a special passion to nurture her in the ways of the Lord and to be a great steward of this young life that God has blessed us with. After my past attempts to work part time, I came to realise that I really admire FTWMs who can juggle work and family. To me, I can only do one thing well and I chose parenting.

So it's a life of BMW (bus, MRT, walk) for us (at least for now till the Lord bless us with the means to get another car)!  It's our choice of investment that has consequences, which by the way, we are more than happy to bear for our child!

No comments:

Post a Comment