"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

For the Love of Reading

I am a self-confessed book junkie! My favorite pastime of all is to cuddle up on the sofa or bed with a good read and it's my fantasy that I can do that for a whole day. (but with a kid, that fantasy will have to hold for now!) So I do my best to impart this love of reading to Han.

I once asked a friend of mine (who teaches languages) which is the best way to teach a child to read. She just replied, "Instill a love for the language." I think it is so true! It's never about reading methodologies or secrets, but it's about surrounding the child with the language and instilling in her a love for it. I feel this liberates me, as a first time parent, from having to find out what are the various methods to help Han love reading! I just have to share my love for reading with her!

So I do unashamedly declare that there's one thing I would gladly spend money on for her. You've guessed it, BOOKS. Han has a proud collection of many books and our family bookshelf is near bursting since her own books joined ours. I am still considering whether to install a bookshelf for her in her room. Hmm.. will have to consider some factors like budget and space.

Books need not be expensive at all. Of course, there's the good old library which I visit once a week and which I try to bring Han there at least once in a fortnight. She understands the concept that a library is for borrowing books and she does enjoy going thankfully!:) But being a book junkie mum, I can't resist buying books for her too. I try to go for books warehouse sales each time they come along, mostly in the holidays. I remember the best one I went for was the TIMES warehouse sale where every single book was going for $2! Thick or thin. I lugged home 40 books in all. I would have bought more if not for the fact that I did not drive there that time.

Just this week, I thank God that I bought some really good Chinese readers! Spotted some at the Suntec Carrefour sale, some going for $1.50 and $2. A few days later, I spotted another batch at Giant sale going for $2. I also manage to buy some English books at $1 each! It's been a week of good books buy!

Besides letting Han read a lot and reading to her, we speak a lot to her and we realised this has greatly helped her to articulate and express herself well. There's really no secret behind it! Just lots of reading and talking (which I love to do haha.)We also allow her 5 mins of personal reading time everyday. This is when she sits in her highchair (while I am doing some minor chore) and read 1-2 books. I hope to increase the length of her reading time come next year. I feel this is very good in instilling a sense of self-discipline to focus and read.

Encourage you to read to your child everyday if you can! Even 5 mins a time will go a long way:)

No comments:

Post a Comment