"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Saturday, October 30, 2010

It's YOUR glory, not mine.

Something personal. I was brought to this verse while spending time with the Lord.

Philippians 2:3-4
3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 

I was very reminded that in my role as a mum and in what I do as a parent, my utmost goal is not to produce a child that I can be proud of. Of course, I will always be proud of Han as her mum. But it's not about parenting being a means to bring glory to myself. It's so easy to go that way, using the results of our work as a reflection of how good we are! I feel that God wants me to remember that every good thing comes from Him and as I strive to be an excellent mum for Him, it is to bring His name honor and glory.

I was humbly taught by God that in what I do as a parent, it is to bring honor and glory to GOD, not myself. This is aligned to the verses following verse 4 of the same passage.Writing about Jesus:


 "6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
      did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
 7but made himself nothing,
      taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
      being made in human likeness.
 8And being found in appearance as a man,
      he humbled himself
      and became obedient to death—
         even death on a cross!" (Philippians 2:6-8)

The Lord reminded me also that in the course of parenting,  it's very important to seek counsel and to look up to other godly examples and to learn from that. I thank Him that I have many godly mothers that I can look up to in my circle of good friends and in God's community. It is also important to give and share whatever God has given to me (such is the aim of this blog too:))

It was such a refreshing time with Him! Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment