"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Saturate vs Sprinkle

I asked myself this question today: Is Han's life saturated or sprinkled with Jesus? And I think the answer will very much guide me into how I tutor her to grow in the ways of God! I realised that if I am not careful, I can easily limit for Han how much God can be in her everyday life. Do we only remember God when we pray together in the mornings, when giving thanks for the food and during evening Bible reading and prayers? It's really that easy to illustrate to her God and His aspects are only "sprinkles" in the day!

The word "saturation" implies a degree of fullness and being no longer able to receive anymore. Well, that leaves a lot of room for us to work towards saturating our days with Jesus!

I remind myself to talk about God a lot with Han, to share with her His goodness etc (yes, toddlers can be very good listeners too! Serious.) When I go to Him in prayer and if Han is around, I try to pray aloud and hopefully she gets to understand our God is our best friend that we can go to anytime, anywhere. A few times when we were strolling, I was just confiding in the Lord, I saw Han clasping her little hands. She must be thinking we are going to pray together!

Some other things I thought it's good to include in her day will be reading Christian stories to her, on top of her usual dosage of books. Include art and crafts with Biblical themes. We recently did a rainbow craft and thankfully that provided the opportunity to teach her about the promises of God. Surround the household with songs of praise and worship.I can do better on the actual guitar playing and worship, not just playing CDs haha. We're also starting a memory verse a week soon! Will try to upload the picture of the memory verse board when I'm done making it!

As one author puts it very well, "we cannot give to our children what we do not have." I am reminded it boils down to us having a fresh and vibrant relationship with God! :)

May the Lord grant us creativity and fresh ideas to saturate our children's days with Him! Do share if you have anymore ideas!

Happy parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment