"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Creation Week #3! God's Creation of Man

We are still focusing on God's creation of Man. I found this WONDERFUL series of books at the library. This series of "Let's Read About Our Bodies" books has titles featuring the ears, eyes, feet, hair, hands, mouth, nose and skin. There are photos and a simple sentence or two on every page. I like them because the photos are eye-catching and Han was very engaged when I read the books to her, some up to 12 pages long. I also like the fact that the pages contain no more than 2 sentences. Fantastic series of books to teach about God's creation of our bodies!


Sample page of "Hands"
Another book I read to her along this theme is "Barney Plays Nose to Toes" It'sa really fun book and I get Han to participate in the activities inside. She loves it!


I still reiterate the question to Han, "Who made our hands, feet etc?" She will answer, "God." :)  I also figured that in teaching her about the parts of the body, it will certainly take more than just reading books. Therefore, we talk about the parts of the body as much as we can. For example during bathing, changing etc. Another example is when she's running about, I will then ask her who made her legs etc. So it's really about creating an awareness and building that truth into her learning. I pray she will always be in awe of the Creator !

Some other activities for this week:

1) Spooning activity

She's been doing a lot of this since a few months back.  I observe a level of improvement when we did this again this week. I must first say that I am extremely thankful for the Friso 3 milk scoop! It's the BEST spoon so far for Han as it is not too big and has a spoon depth that is perfect for this activity! Han used to give up after a while the last few times we did this activity using other spoons, so she resorted to using her hands. This time round, there was no such problem. So yay!

Beads, ice tray from Daiso. Friso 3 milk scoop.

2) Pipe cleaners slotting activity

Han found this relatively easy as the opening of the container was quite big. This activity trains her fine motor skills. I guess it's time for me to make it more challenging by using cut uncooked spaghetti and a salt shaker!

All materials from Daiso

3) Pre-printing practice (Line tracing)

I downloaded this activity sheet from the Kidzone website. They have loads of free pre-printing practice printables! Han has been practicing this for almost 2 months now. As you can see, the tracings on the first line were drawn with my holding of her hand. For the past two weeks, I allowed her to do the second and third line by herself. I think she is improving, but the cute thing is she gets kind of impatient towards the end and she will want to just get the activity over and done with! I'm still trying to train her to hold the crayon the non-palmar way. At the end of this activity, I'll allow her some free time to colour the drawings. Note how she can colour roughly within the sun? That took weeks of practicing!


4) Memory Card Game

I was a little hesitant to start Han on this until E's brother and sister-law gave this Ravensburger Disney Memory Game for her second birthday. I was very happy that the cards have pictures of Pooh, Tigger (especially!) and Piglet etc. That certainly motivated Han to play with them! I decided to start from six cards of three character pairs. Today is the first time Han is doing this and she needed much prompting. Nonetheless we were giggling a lot because when she turned the wrong card, she will start giggling herself! On a side note, I realised placing the cards on the table made them quite difficult to take and turn for Han's tiny hands. So when I saw a recyclable store product display "shelf" kind of things, I took it and it proved to be perfect for propping up the cards! Wonderful! You could make your own version using cardboard I believe.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment