"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Friday, November 26, 2010

Of Learning Alphabets - No Time for Flashcards Except for One

 I have a confession to make. When the test stick first registered a positive and after a subsequent visit to the gynae, we went on a spree for flashcards for the little one. Sheer excitement + don't know what to buy but still wanted to buy something + double income + heard a lot about flashcards = Buy a lot of flashcards. We bought flashcards for alphabets, animals, colours, numbers etc.

25 months later, I have a box of flashcards lying in a box and scarcely used...EXCEPT for one kind. The alphabet ones. First, let me explain why. Over time, I realised that learning is much more effective and interesting when other sources of materials and methods are used besides flashcards. I am definitely not discouraging the use of flashcards, just the exclusive use of them in teaching. (You could read an excellent book "Einstein Never Used Flashcards" which discussed this topic extensively.) Over time, it dawned on me that showing Han a card on numbers is not going to teach her much about math as much as showing her a card of a rabbit is not going to teach her a great deal about the furry cutie. I observed that she picked up words and meanings well mostly through experiential learning and exposure to the actual objects themselves.

However, I would like to comment the use of alphabet flashcards in the learning of alphabets, at least through my own experience. I first started showing Han the Hands on Learning Touch and Feel Cards (ABCs) by Scholastic Hands on Learning when she was about 4 months old.


Honestly, I did not do it with the intention of "teaching" her anything at all. It was just an activity that I like to do in between her naps and milk feeds. To Han, I believe she enjoyed the time we had together and the joy of hearing our voices, these surpassing any appeal that the cards have. I do recommend this set of flashcards for young infants and pre-toddlers as the cards have an element of touch-and-feel and it really appeals to them.

Naturally, as Han got older, I had to source for other alphabet cards for her as there came a time she got pretty bored with the same old set. I started to trudge the web for resources because I did not want to spend on another set of flashcards.

I found these 2 sets at Baby Bumblebee (I changed the "Q for quarter" to my own "Q for queen" as we don't use quaters here) and at Activity Village (they used to have the colour version, but I guess you could colour the pictures yourself) or you could construct your own flashcards using these alternate resources from Activity Village. I really like these 2 sets as they have clear and attractive pictures coupled with the alphabets in capital and small forms. All I did was to print them out and laminate them. On a side note, it's really good to invest in a laminator for all the web-based resources!

During our Learning Time everyday, I will always start off with these alphabet cards and end of with the ABC song. As we do this over the past 21 months or so, we can see Han recognising the alphabets, being able to say a few letter for what object (A for apple etc) and she can sing the ABC song in full just recently. It's really fun! Try it! Just remember that learning the alphabets take MORE than just having cards, it's really infusing alphabets everywhere and making them fun! Some of the things we do at home:

- Talk about alphabets everywhere and always! For example, A is also for aeroplane when you see a plane, B is for the butter on the bread etc.

- Put up an alphabet train on our learning alley. You can get this free version at Kidsparkz. I love this version as it has both capital and small alphabets and realistic photos. Laminate, hang it up and talk about them often.

- Put up alphabet posters

- Videos on alphabets. Our all-time favorite is the Leapfrog Letter Factory. It's very good for introducing phonics too.

- Bath alphabets.We use Little Tikes Bath Letters and Numbers. They stick to wet wall tiles and is really fun!

- Sing the ABC song often!

- Read and read and read.

- Talk and talk and talk to your child. You'll be surprised how they will catch on and spring you a surprise when they talk!

- 3D alphabets and alphabet blocks are good to play with and allow the child to manipulate and aid in letter recognition.

- Puzzles on ABCs

So here's my two cents worth! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment