"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Sunday, November 28, 2010

DIY Pegboard

I've been looking for a pegboard for the longest time. Something like that.


Toys R Us don't seem to have it and I am not too keen to spend a lot to buy it from premium toy stores. So I decided to make my own version of a pegboard! Went to Daiso, my favorite hunt for DIY materials and got 30 plastic children's toothpicks and a thick block of pink styrofoam. Total cost = $4. Ta-dah!


Putting in and pulling out the pegs is a good fine-motor skills training activity as it's not very easy to do that on a thick styrofoam block. The first time Han attempted this, she did not have the patience to do all 30 pegs as  there are no pre-punched holes on the block and she had to create a hole with every peg she pushed in. So I had to help her with that. But with subsequent re-visits to this activity, Han found it more enjoyable as she only needs to push the pegs into the holes that are already present. I like this activity as I feel it not only trains up her fine-motor skills, it also trains her on her patience to finish putting in all 30 pegs and pulling them out to keep them. Thankfully, the pegs come in attractive designs and cute designs, so we will do a running commentary (eg "let's put the pink rabbit in!", "Wow, now is the green tree's turn!" etc) as we do the activity.

The only thing I don't like is the random positions of the holes so I think I'll get another styrofoam board and pre-punch some holes in orderly rows as a second version for her to practise pegging. And yes, if a reasonably-priced (in my opinion) peg board comes along, I'll still get it!


Hurray for DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment