"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Do I Work and Will I Regret? - A Road Less Travelled

"You don't work??" she asked me with an incredulous look.
 (you think being a stay home mum is not working?)

"But you are so young!" she went on.
(thanks for the sweet reminder!)

"You can easily earn a few thousand if you work!"
 ( It's a reminder I don't need.)

"Will you regret if you don't have much in your CPF next time because you don't work?"

I have gotten this kind of conversation quite a few times, but today it seemed to linger in me longer. I feel a need to realign my decision in my heart again.

Staying at home is not equal to not working. With a child-caring schedule that spans more than 12 hours a day, "not working" is the last thing on my mind. Of course, I am very thankful to God for the times when Han is engaged in self-play and when taking her nap. That will give me about 2 hours of free time a day.
Seriously, I have yet to come across a one-liner that can explain to others how stay home mums are so really fully working! What a misconception of the word "working"! Maybe we should call ourselves stay-at-home-working-with no monetary pay- mums...

Of course, not everyone is a stay home mum. I fully salute working mums who can manage a career and family. I humbly admit I can't do that juggling! So onto the road less travelled I walk.

I did not answer the lady's last question. In any case, it was pretty much a one-way conversation. No, I will not regret it when 20 years down the road, I see less money in my CPF account. For I know the God I serve is our Provider and He will not let us run dry. But I will certainly regret when I know I have missed the many firsts in Han's life and the time invested in her childhood if I choose another road.

**********

The lady seemed to sense I was not exactly leaping with joy at her comments. She changed her stance.

"Wow! Your girl is really  well-behaved!"
 (patting Han) "Your mummy has taught you well."

Thank you madam, for it is by His grace. :)

1 comment:

  1. It takes a lot to be a stay-home mum :) My school sometimes do have courses to equip caregiver. Will you be interested? Here is the website: http://www.seedinstitute.edu.sg/cos/o.x?c=/ntuc/pagetree&func=view&rid=1036156

    ReplyDelete