"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Importance of Creating Memories

This afternoon, in her usual chatty mood, Han said,

" Hannah go to the beach with por por...
Hannah scoop sand...
Hannah pour water...
Hannah never walk on sand... (referring to her initial reluctance to walk on sand) 
Hannah wash legs...
Hannah's legs dirty!!"

This is not the first time she has talked about a memorable first time-outing to the beach with us and with my mum. Today, as she narrated it again and added the last three sentences to make today's version a longer one, something struck me.

Han could remember something that took place more than half a year ago and she really enjoys narrating it quite often. The more she narrates, the more details she will add. It's a process of articulating a memory that is very precious to her. She does the same for her second birthday party that took place last month.

"Hannah happy birthday...
So many purple balloons! Same colour as Barney!
(proceeds to name all the immediate and extended family members present at the party)
Hannah blow cake. Barney, BJ, Baby Bop, Scooter all on cake!"

Someone, an experienced father of 4 daughters, once told E and me , " Create memories for your children to look back on. What I remember is not the things my parents buy for me, but the memories they created for me."

A large part of a child's memories are  built by the parents and I pray, by His grace, we will seek to create great memories for Han.

No comments:

Post a Comment